View Single Post
Old 09-10-2004, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel Pump Dilemma

I know mechanical vs electrical fuel pump debate has raged on and I have searched the forum for the correct answer, but now I know enough to be dangerous. So, I'll ask, "what would you do?"

The dilemma:

I have a 489 cu in Shelby block pumping out some serious HP and I'm afraid the Holley Red that comes with the Kirkham is not enough. I could go with a Holley Blue or Black pump, but those would require I re-plumb the fuel line to accept a regulator on the firewall. (I guess I could put the regulator over by the driver's front wheel well and save the re-plumbing, but it would look strange.)

The other option is to add a Carter mechanical. The beauty of the mechanical is it adds fuel as rpms go up, which is what I need. The Holley Red flow rate drops way off after 4psi (look at the Holley site. I'm sure some others running this pump will get nervous when you see the flow specs for it). The Carter flows 120 gph, so why would I need to keep the electrical pump if I went this route? Is there any benefit to having both, other than reliability?

The mechanical route is much cheaper so it seems like a no-brainer, but there are so many electrical pumps out there (including the fact the Kirkhams put them on their cars) that I feel like I'm missing something. What would you do?