View Single Post
Old 10-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The machine shop I use does not have all the tools to accurately measure the squareness of the block,what I do is install the crank and the four outside pistons and check piston to deck height,then take it all down and have the block "cut" to MY desired amount,depending on the compression ratio I want......sometimes it is a lot as in my last engine,sometimes it's very little...... I have found quite a bit of difference in blocks,depending on when and where they were casts and the mileage and usage it saw before I got hold of it...............a number of years back while rebuilding two 351-Ws using the same pistons/rods/crank I found on one block the pistons were 20 thousands from the top,on the other they were 65 thousands,the only difference was one block was a 1974 block and the other a 1973 block......when you take into consideration the crank/rods/pistons/block variances,it can add up to quite a bit......

It's a little more work,but when finished I know exactly where my compression ratio is and piston to valve clearances,no guessing about these things............

BTW,the machine shop I use only charges 50 bucks to cut the deck of a block..............

David