View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: Weight

Quote:
Originally posted by Ant

I havent got the facts but the alloy FE engine doesn't weigh 320lbs less than the a cast iron engine, or weighs 320 in total those figures dont make sense!

An all alloy SBF would be lucky to get down to 370-385lbs, add another 100lbs on to your figures.
An all-alloy FE vs an iron FE:
Total weight of an iron FE, with heads and intake is somewhere around 700 pounds (I think there are many many threads beating this subject into the ground, but I'm going by my own experience with my own combinition of bits on the scale).

When I replaced the intake and heads and water pump with aluminum versions, the exhaust manifolds with headers, and shaved a bit off the crank, I ended up near 500 pounds. If the Genesis aluminum block weighs 100+ pounds less than an iron block, then that would bring my version of an all alloy FE down to the 400 pound range. Very close to the weight of an all alloy SBF which I'm assuming is a good number in the post above. That 400 pound version of an all-alloy FE is indeed 320 pounds or so less than a fully loaded all-iron FE. Note: my induction system weighs more than the average 4V aluminum intake.

What's everyone's problem here? Don't you want an excellent repro FE block to be available and to be better than the paperthin-walled 'originals' that have been bandaged and fixed and kept on life support way past their intended lives?