View Single Post
Old 11-06-2004, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Unhappy How to tell if Clutch Master Cylinder is bad?

I have ERA #414 and the clutch wouldn't disengage the other day. Put it on the lift and there was fluid leaking from the line between the master and slave cylinders. Bob at ERA said they have upgraded that fitting and is sending another line. In the meantime, I pulled the rubber boot off the slave and fluid came pouring out. So, assuming blown seal, I replaced the slave (only $35). Replaced the original line to the master and tried to at least seal up the slave banjo connection end with gasket sealer. Now I can't get it bled using a Mityvac vacum pump. I've pulled about half a quart of Valvoline synthetic through the system and am still not getting any pressure on the pedal.

After that long preamble, here are my questions:
1) When using a Mityvac off the slave bleed valve, do you just ignore the clutch pedal end of things and just use the vacum to pull fluid through the system? Or, do you still need to have the clutch pedal half way depressed and then close off the valve before bottoming out or releasing it?
2) I feel like I'm drawing air into the line, either from the feed line from the resevior to the master, or from the connections on the line from Master to slave. There isn't any fluid in or around the rubber boot on the master. What's the best way to tell if the master cylinder is bad or if it's just a leak in the lines?

Thanks!
Scott