Thread: Better Brakes
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2004, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, Corvette suspension, 632cid all aluminium Ford big block, Wilson custom manifold, Richmond 5 speed Transimssion
Not Ranked     
Default Better Brakes

To anyone with ideas:
I have am Everett Morrison Cobra with Corvette suspension, I first built it with manual brakes as per the kit, I found it did not stop faster than 70' from 10mph. I contacted EM and they said I should buy thier Power booster, so I did, I installed it and put on very "sticky" brake pads, they were supposed to really stop a Corvette very well in race applications and street applications. My 632cid big block has a big cam and therefore does not develope enough vacuum, so I installed an electric vacuum pump to gets down to 24" with an automatic switch set to 21" of mercury. I have this connected via check valve to a 1+ gallon vacuum reservoir. I know I have plenty of vacuum and the reservoir is plenty large (as the pump kicks on after 10+ stops). But I still can not lock up the wheels, even with full foot pressure on the pedal. Although the stopping distance is MUCH better, I suspect that if I can replace my two piston calipers with 4 piston versions, I'll get better hydrolic leverage due to more piston area, I already have the smallest diameter Master Cylinder possible. Anyone else have a similar problem with Corvette brakes on a Cobra? or experience with the EM Corvette suspension kits not stopping well? Anyone know of after market 4 piston calipers ? Thank you. Tom