View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 08:37 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Gel Coat Body

Need some help here!

I have been on the road since Labor day 2001. I have 10 k miles and I have the Chrome Yellow Gel Coat body from A & C. My next project I wanted to do this winter is to have a qualified paint shop prep the body and put a couple of coats of clear over the base "Gel Coat".

The color still looks good but there are some areas that still have the original buffed polished areas from the original delivery state of the body from A & C. I have done some buffing with the materials Joe T said to use and still not really happy about some areas. Also, I have developed some cracks in the Gel Coat near the front fender splash area where I cut out for the side pipes.
So, I thought this winter would be time to have someone wet sand the body, I would remove all the hardware on the body: windsheild, lights, side pipes, bumpets etc.

I have taken the car to at least "Five" reputable body shops and all have said they would not do it!!! They are concerned about how hard the Gel Coat is. They are concerned that the clear would not pentrate and bond to the Gel Coat. One guy even called PPG while I was there and said "No Way it will not bond, first chip you get in the clear, the wind turbulence could get under the clear and it will blow right off"!!!!!!!

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am looking for someone to do this in Northern Ohio or if someone could transport the car for me it could be farther, to put clear over the yellow. NO STRIPES.

The last guy said he would only gurantee a new paint job of sanding, primer, sealer, new base Yellow and two coats of clear. I said yeah, for 3.5k to 5k. He said that's about right.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Jim