View Single Post
Old 12-26-2004, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Ken, The harness question has been answered.

The question re the gestapo giving us a hard time after inspection is, in general they dont.

However, we have a mutiple layer enforcement structure.

By that I'm saying that we have the police who generally leave you alone as long as you're behaving. Sometime they may pull you over for a look. Most police I find are to some extent petrol heads anyways so they appreciate a nice car.

Then we have the dept of transport. These are the dudes who administer the registration, inspection, collection of fines etc., these are are the dudes who enforce the safety aspect of car ownership and eventually sign off the registration..

Now they set the rules and are reasonably easy to deal with as long as you follow the rules (read ADR's). However, they have a bunch of low lifes working for them who travel around pulling trailers decked out to check brakes etc and they'll set up shop on the side of any road in the state. ( usually in conjuction with the police).

They'll pull up any vehicle which they fancy and go over it with a fine tooth comb. They have the power to sideline your car immediately if the deem it to be unroadworthy.

Many of these fellas are not a bad bunch ( read petrol heads) but they do have a disproportionate number of inspectors who for one reason or another enjoy giving folks a hard time.

Having said that, I've been passenger in a cob which was supposed to have a 302W but was fitted with a 351W. They didn't pick the difference between the motors. The same car was fitted with approved tyres(tires) but they were mounted on illegal rims not stamped with an ADR approval...they didn't pick that either.

So I guess it's a bit of pot luck being pulled over by these guys as you may, or may not, get an inspector who is actually a mechanic and knows the rules a bit more than others.

Cheers