View Single Post
Old 01-05-2005, 11:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Supercharged FE Kit. Interest?

I'll redesigning the kit I built for my 385 series for a customers FE powered cobra sometime this summer after I finish tuning and dynoing mine. If others here are interested in the kit, maybe I'll build more than one...it's all cad/waterjet plates for the most part. He wants a reverse-rotation T-Trim (smaller than my JT), and it would handle an S-Trim too (even the SQ quiet unit).

See my gallery and/or http://www.racesystems.com/cobra for pictures of my 385 series engine, and don't bash it, I know FE's rule and all that.

It's an EFI-Ized (160lb/hr injectors lol), 7.88:1 CR blue-thunder headed 433" 385 with a V7-JT Vortech reverse-rotation, forward-feed, center-scoop type configuration; all under the hood...viper 6spd...and in a west coast cobra. I'm expecting at least 1000fwhp on pump gas; the latest dyno sims say 1100. We shall see.

And yes, more than 500rwhp in cobra is pretty purposeless, unless you're attempting a jump to ludicrous speed, which I am. If I want to to pro-stock burnoffs on the freeway starting from a 65mph roll, that's my business. The guy in Oregon that killed himself died of bad judgement, not horsepower.

Centrifugal blown cars are great. You can dial the WOT power to whatever level you like with the twist of a blow-off valve adjustment screw. And, with a centrifugal, the engine is essentially naturally aspirated under 2500rpm anyway (it's a belt driven turbo, more or less). And, with injection and the centrifugal, it allows you to run gigantic intake ports and lumpy cams that would usually street like crap due to poor port velocity at idle and part throttle. I guess you'd have to see it to believe it, but it's true. Check out some of the latest cars that entered Hot Rods pump gas drags...several of those are very streetable legitimate 1000+hp street cars.

I'm sure mine will live most of its life at 5psi making lots of cool noises and 600rwhp; but it's sure nice knowing you have an extra 300+hp in reserve for 1320ft burnoffs at the drag strip when the mood strikes...isn't that what cobras are about?