View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Answers...

At this stage I can only bench race my engine...the car is not complete, and the engine has not been tuned and dyno'd yet.

The drive system on the V7-JT is a 80/30 cog setup. With that drive ratio, the blower is capable of flowing 1700+ CFM. The heads on this engine flow 400/300 at .600; they have been competition ported. The valves are 2.25/1.90. That said, this animal is a combination of parts I've never seen before. I don't know what it's going to do...but if the simulations are anywhere near correct, it's going to make about 700ft-lbs at 3000rpm ramping to over 900ft-lbs; and peak at over 1000hp. And do this with an effective supercharged compression ratio up top of under 15:1 on 91 octane fuel.

EGT on supercharged cars can run hot due to the rich mixtures and excessive timing retard used to avoid detonation. The exhaust valve opens and the combustion process continues in the exhaust. It's not unusual to see air/fuel ratios of 11:1 (very safe) and EGT readings of 1600+ if there is significant timing retard (16-18 total) present. Usually, this is a sign of an engine running too much effective compression ratio for the boost provided...it's being pushed. I'm hoping mine will take 20-24 deg total advance on pump gas with about 10-12psi, and should produce exhast temps under 1300deg F. I'll tune it around 10.5:1 up top. I don't care about the extra 100hp; I want it safe.

Will the viper transmission hold up? Well, honestly, I think it's a bit small for the job, but it's my favorite 6spd transmission for a street car. I've seen a few local vipers break the magic 1000 rear-wheel-horsepower number with these transmissions. And, in practice, you never are able to apply that much power/torque through a street tire anyway. Car & Driver beat the hell out of the Apex "Lethal" viper, which I had a hand in, and they couldn't kill it. It made over 700 to the tires. Once I'm done getting my dyno number and seeing what 1000hp feels like, I'll be turning the wick down and running a lot less, I'm sure. If it doesn't last, I'll call the guys at G-Force and get the beefy version. They have a gearset that is really nice. To tell you the truth, I'm more concerned about the clutch than I am the transmission. I have a local guy that designs kevlar clutches, and his package is just amazing. 1000rwhp through a single 12" viper disk, with pedal effort less than a new mustang clutch. It's been done. Mine is an improvement on the clutch used in the "Lethal" car, and has been used in a couple of nitrous assisted vipers that have seen that 1000hp number...it should be fine.

I'll post more as things progress...right now, it's all talk.

Byron