View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel heating...

To reduce fuel heating, use a PWM pump controller on your fuel pump with a 0-5V control input connected to your PCM. Map your PCM to output a control voltage that increases pump delivery in proportion to air mass, RPM, throttle angle, or whatever other inputs you need. Throttling the pump down will help fuel heating tremendously, as will running lower base fuel pressure.

I use a PWM controller designed for 12V wheel chairs. It uses a 0-5 control input. I have my own hardware that controls the pump based on the output of a mass-air meter that is measuring airflow into the engine.

Also, you will need a quality linear regulator that will not change the pressure differential as the flow changes. Some regulators are poor; and the pressure willd drift dramatically as you cycle the pump through it's flow range. Magnaflow regulators are excellent; they are stable through all flow ranges. I use weldon 2015, 2025, and 2031 pumps.

Lastly, if you still are unhappy about the heat, install a small power steering cooler or transmission cooler on the return line to drop the fuel temp to atmospheric. This is unnecessary in most applications when using a pwm controller.

Returnless systems are OK, but you'll have hotter fuel entering the combustion chamber on average than the system described above, and will also have a lot of trouble running any sort of positive displacement pumps like Weldons, gerotor pumps, etc. You'll end up water-hammering the pump to death, and the PID loop control algoritm they use to do returnless systems doesn't work well with those kinds of pumps. You'll have to run big turbine type fuel pumps...not Walbro's. If you need help selecting some high-flow turbine style pumps, I know of some Ford OEM parts that work well.