View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Intercooler/Aftercooler

I thought about implementing an intercooler; and decided not to.

Vortech's V7-YS generates about 160deg F intake air on a 70deg day at 15psi. I have tons of data logs to support this from customers running my datalogger product, SnEEC-IV.

160deg F intake air worst case, and 10-12psi of boost, and a 7.8:1 compression engine, should easily yield my desired result (1000fwhp) without the need for any additional power-adder devices like intercoolers. Additionally, I should not have a need for colder intake air to avoid detonation with the low compression engine.

The only thing an intercooler or aftercooler would do for me is make more power; quite a bit more; and if I do that things will break. My engine runs a forged steel 429 production crank. It will do (and has done) 1000fwhp in applications far more strenuous than mine (like jet boat racing, monster truck racing, etc.). However, they are known to fail at about 1300hp; so I'm not going beyond 1000. Also, my engine is built on a production 1971 429 block with a 1/3rd fill, and a 4-bolt billet main conversion. As strong as this is, it's still a production block, and it has its limits. I can point to several 1000+hp combinations with far more stroke than mine that lived; and several at 1300+hp that did NOT live, so I draw the line at 1000.

But, if I fail to reach my goal and it's within the range that an intercooler might provide...it's an option. I didn't use better parts for a variety of reasons; the largest of which was cost. No point putting thousands of dollars into parts to make an engine run in a power category that it will never see. This engine is built strong enough to see my occasional "1000" number on a dyno, and plenty strong to live out it's life in the sub-700 range that I might have a chance at connecting...at least on the big end.

Byron