View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

In the suspensions of our cars you have a thing called Motion Ratio...... and the equation for Wheel rate is

Wheel Rate = (Motion Ratio)Squared X Spring rate

Front..... measure from a straight line going through the mounting points of the of the lower control arm .....to ...... the lower ball joint.......Thats a number....

Then measure from the same point going thru the chassis mounting points of the lower control arm .....to..... the center of the mounting point of the Spring or Coil over......

Divide the longer measurement to the ball joint....into the smaller measurment to the spring mount or coil over......

Example....Example......... 16"= chassis mounting point.....Divided into......8"= coil over mount point......... = .5

.5 X .5 = .25

450#springs X .25 = 112.5 lbs per inch Wheel Rate.....not very much ... wheel will fall over on itself....

That's why Tom switches the front springs around on the stock cars.....

If you go to the rear

16" to center of lower control arm mounts and coil over is mounted at 12"..... then

12"/16" = .75

.75 X .75 = .5625

600# X .5625 = 337.5 lbs per inch Wheel Rate....

So if you have 112# wheel rate on the front and 337# lbs Wheel rate on the rear......your front is way to soft to go around a corner and you need help in the front and then you'll know what to do with the rear......

The weight transfer in the rear with 800# springs may be the right roll couple for the rear of a car ....but if you want to take out oversteer or induce understeer you have to change springs .... where as with Roll bars you just change the bar settings..... much easier.....

So I do like roll bars ...because we've been able to balance the roll couple front to rear to get the car to respond the way it's suppose to .........but I will calculate out the bars and roll couple before we make the rear bar.....

Sorry for the long ....long ..... responses ......

Morris