View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Unfortunately, Fantasy has it priced closer to what a Devin SS might bring. The Echidna is a great "Special" and won a lot of races, but it is not a "World" car like the Cobra. They were built with economy in mind, and the whole process was a pretty low budget affair compared to European cars and the incomparable Scarabs of the day. They did win a lot of races but their tenure was pretty short ('58-'60) in the hands of the original clan. I don't think any of them ever participated in any West Coast contests, either.

The frame was shortened from a '55-'56 Chevrolet passenger car and Duntov did some work on the fuel injection for the trio. For that, Larson, the optometrist, made a pair of prescription sun glasses for Zora. Those were pretty rare for that time.

The car was featured in 1960 in Sports Car Illustrated in a 22 page piece that spanned two issues. There is a great picture--sort of a foldout--that shows the Echidna sitting on the Mesabi Iron Range with a gigantic Bucyrus Erie drag line crane in the background. The clouds are very menancing looking and it sort of symbolizes the incredible harshness of that part of the country. Maybe I can get Ron to post it.

Thanks for your interest.

Last edited by Cal Metal; 01-15-2005 at 12:58 PM..