View Single Post
Old 01-16-2005, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Interesting data...

Thanks for the plots. To really appreciate what's going on here, I would like to know a little more about your bypass valve arrangement.

What size bypass valve are you running? Does it bypass air from before the intercooler to atmosphere? Or, does it recirculate?

What this plot looks like to me is a bypass/recirculation system that is operating at part throttle and building heat in the head unit as it recirculated hot bypass air. I noticed that your TPS is at part throttle for most of this test log, even though the engine is turning as much as 6000rpm. It would build a tremendous amount of heat if the bypass air is recirculated and / or the bypass valve isn't large enough to drop the head pressure. I have seen that problem before. Many of the Vortech kits come with small bypass valves and recirculate bypass air back into the inlet. In road-race applications where you spend a great deal of time at part-throttle, the heat buildup in the head unit is extreme. In cases like this, I wouldn't be at all suprised to see these kinds of temperatures.

If you have a giant bypass valve dumping to atmosphere when at part-throttle, this data is indeed shocking and inconsistent with all the data I've ever seen. I have logs from a few Renegade drag cars that spike close to 200deg F on a drag pass spinning Novi 2000's and V7-YSi's at 110% of spec, but I've never seen one get to 280 like yours. Does it show these kinds of temperatures even during a WOT only test?

Also, the temperature of the air exiting your intercooler seems too good to be true. You're reading 40deg C or below no matter if the engine is at idle, 2000, or 6000RPM...and no matter if the air exiting the supercharger is 40deg C or 140deg C? I'm used to seeing intercooler plots that drop the intake air temperature by some percentage relative to ambient...tracking the inlet temperature to some degree. Yours sits relatively flat at 40C or below. Is this intercooler enormous or special in some way or is it a normal air-to-air type cooler? How did you manage to make it work so well? The only intercoolers I've seen that resulted in a plot like that were the giant air/water "ice box" type coolers used in drag applications; and they typically would create temperatures lower than 40deg C.

Please let me know, I'm indeed curious.

Byron