View Single Post
Old 01-16-2005, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default AC based intercooling

I read a bunch about the AC powered water/air chiller system Ford has been working on for the Lightning, and I've also seen a few home brew versions of this implemented. However, every implementation I've ever seen is designed to chill a water reservoir while driving around at part throttle, then utilize this chilled coolant at WOT for added power. I think this would work fine for my application, but I'd go air-air first for simplicity reasons.

I've installed water injection on several vehicles. In my opinion, water injection (once tuned) works well as an anti-detonation measure, but hasn't (at least in my experimentation) done much for intake air temperatures and power. I have never measured EGT, but I bet you're right. My favorite kit is the Aquamist system. Power gain due to the water alone has been quite small (10hp on a 300hp engine), but the additional knock headroom is on the order of 2-4deg additional advance before detonation on most small block Fords. This is a big deal if you're trying to run 91 octane pump gas and iron heads with 10-12lbs of boost. So, from that perspective...the gains are significant. What I don't like about it is having to keep an eye on level, worrying about it not working for some reason, having to use deionized water as to not clog the pump and nozzles, etc. It's not a "set it and forget it" relationship. I thought about designing my own system, just have never gotten around to it.

Byron