View Single Post
Old 01-16-2005, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Almac Cobra 427R
Not Ranked     

No I dont have a contact number sorry - but I am sure that there arnt too many Dedunskis around. He lives somewhere in the New Plymouth area I think.

He purchased the car damaged, and rebuilt it, and has raced it a little. Not sure if it is for sale or not, but didnt see it at this years Classic meeting, he was racing a Celica.

The car is very quick, used to do around 1:13s on slicks at Manfeild I think (I have done 1:17 on road tyres in the Gulf car). It weighs less than the Gulf car ( I think it was less than 1000kg, Gulf car is about 1060 and JBL is about the same as Gulf car), space framed chassis, thin fiberglass body, has similar power, less torque.

Engine was Ford Motorsport block, Yates heads, Barry Grant Carb, dry sump, under car exhausts, T10 gearbox, Nissan diff. All built and tuned by some crowd in Auckland (name escapes me, but he does a lot of the Transam stuff).

The car was able to be road legal, has lights, horn etc. tho it did have a lexan windscreen (which is mounted to the full roll cage).

I believe the car may have less power than it used to (apparently detuned at some stage).

Worth a try anyway - it was a very well sorted car, competing with all the big boys in the Porsches and Viper race cars etc.

I agree with the statement about the NZ$, but I think as a rule the NZ cars are much cheaper to manufacture than the ones made in the States.

This car looked like a real Cobra (as opposed to the JBL). May not have the fancy suspension design, but from my limited chassis knowledge the space frame should be lighter than the JBL and potentially stronger.

Plus - buying a car from overseas brings a lot of extra headaches in NZ doesnt it - particularly trying to register one (as opoposed to a race car).

Anyway. Good luck, let me know how you get on.

Cheers
Bevan.

Last edited by BevanWright; 01-16-2005 at 08:27 PM..