Old 01-17-2005, 12:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Interesting data...

Quote:
Originally posted by ByronRACE

If you have a giant bypass valve dumping to atmosphere when at part-throttle, this data is indeed shocking and inconsistent with all the data I've ever seen.
Also, the temperature of the air exiting your intercooler seems too good to be true. You're reading 40deg C or below no matter if the engine is at idle, 2000, or 6000RPM...and no matter if the air exiting the supercharger is 40deg C or 140deg C?
Hi Byron,
I have a Mondo bypass that dumps to atmosphere. The dyno run was just part of a general caning we gave the motor to make sure that it could handle various load levels, rpm levels, engine temps, air temps, etc. If anything on the motor was going to break, I wanted it to happen on the dyno. We had the usual dyno fan blowing over the intercooler/motor initially, then we turned the fan off and let the intercooler heatsoak for a few minutes, we then cycled the rpm/load all over the place and the temp after intercooler never got over 60C ! Anyone that's seen the motor after I've gone for a drive can see that the pipe leading into the intercooler is too hot to touch, but the pipe leading away from it is only as warm as the radiating heat in the engine bay. It's weird, but you'd swear it had it's own little dry ice box in there.... The intercooler core is 24"x12"x4.5", bar and plate, Garrett brand. It's as heavy as heck, and I suspect that the amount of aluminum that goes into making them allows them to absorb the initial hit of heat. I have numerous logs to show that my air temp inot the manifold actually drops a handful of degrees when I first hit the throttle. I'm never at WOT more than a few seconds at a time, so I never really tax the system as much as when we dynoed it. When I get my laptop back, I'll post the quarter mile runs I did. I can't remember what the air temps did then.

Thanks for the log from the Stang. Do you know what impeller speed that car was running through the traps. I have a 74/28 cog setup, and I'm at 400 cubes. I've seen a lot of smaller cube motors running much higher recorded boost levels at the same impeller speed. Your monster motor won't be showing much boost, but the airflow will certainly still be there for you!