View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF812; 427 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Hey now here is a subject I really know about!!!
As a member of Cosworth Racing for almost 13 year now, I can tell you a few things about what it takes to rev an engine to the moon and still see the checkered flag on the last lap....
I've spent all my time at Cosworth working with Champ Car (formerly CART). I do have some insight to F-1 and the IRL or IndyCar series as well.
First and formost, the Champ Car engines make anywhere from 750 to 925 hp and about 400 ftlbs of torque.
Power depends on boost setting which has changed many times over the years.
At 925 hp, the boost was approximately 40 inhg.
We have revved ours to as high as 17,000 rpm!
This is a turbo-charged V-8 Engine (2.65 ltr).
The valve train is conventional steel wire spring with titanium valves and retainers.
To make them live at those speeds, cam profile and spring wire material are crucial!
If I told you more, I'd have to kill ya!
The clutches are multi-plate sintered steel units that are about 5 inches in diameter.
The cars weigh in at 1550 lbs (no fuel or driver).
All the engine related controls are handled through Cosworth software and elctronics.
Shifting on a Champ Car is manual however, all the driver has to do is pull or puch the shifter, the elctronics do the rest.
A good shift on a Champ Car takes about 40 ms, an F-1 car is about a 3rd of that!
An F-1 engine is indeed very similar to a Champ Cars however, they do currently use V-10's at 3 ltrs.
Our F-1 engine can race all day at close to 20K rpm!
We use pnuematic valve springs with conventional over head cams (both series run 4 valve per cyl).
And as you can imagine, the materials in an F-1 car can only be described as "Un-obtanium". More carbon fiber than you could ever imagine!
Their clutches are controled by the electronics package.
They are multi disc carbon fiber units that can cost as much as my SPF-Cobra!
All driver controled functions are done through the steering wheel (about 20 seperate switches and knobs).
I could go on and on (it's my passion)........

The most exciting part of my 13 years at Cosworth came in late 2003 when I was invited to drive one of the million dollar Players Cigarette cars!
I did 6 laps at Las Vegas Speedways road course!
800 Hp in a 1550 pound car is almost indescribable!
I'm still smiling!
Hope this helps.
Ken