View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,

Here are a few more points to consider for the Pikes Peak Drive.

The most visited mountain in North America and the second most visited mountain in the world behind Japan's Mount Fuji, Pikes Peak forms a stunning backdrop for Colorado Springs and the Garden of the Gods. At an altitude of 14,110 feet above sea level, Pikes Peak is the 31st highest peak out of 54 Colorado peaks. It is the farthest east of the big peaks in the Rocky Mountain chain, which contributed to its early fame among explorers, pioneers and immigrants and made it the symbol of the 1859 Gold Rush to Colorado with the slogan, "Pikes Peak or Bust".

Over a half million people reach the summit house every year by the Pikes Peak Highway, Barr Trail or the Pikes Peak Cog Railroad. The 8.9 mile railroad typically operates May through October; the 19 mile Pikes Peak Highway, paved part of the way , is open year round weather permitting. About 15,000 people a year attempt to climb Pikes Peak on foot. The 13 mile trail begins at the base of Pikes Peak in Manitou Springs. Barr Trail is the longest of any trails leading to the top of the 54 mountains in Colorado that are over 14,000 feet, and offers the greatest base-to-summit elevation gain in the state: 7,400 feet.

Three notable events take place on the mountain each year. The Pikes Peak Marathon, a 26 mile round trip foot race up Barr Trail and then back down each August, draws thousands of runners from all over the world. The top round trip finishing time is three hours and 16 minutes. The second event, the Pikes Peak Auto Hill Climb on the last Saturday in June is a race on the 12.42 mile gravel road which starts around the 6 1/2 mile mark on the highway . Rod Millen from New Zealand holds the fastest time record since 1994, 10 minutes and 4.6 seconds. The third event is the AdAmAn Club New Years Fireworks display on December 31, 12:00 a.m.

I just want you to be aware that there is Gravel and rocks on the road. I am wondering if you really want to drive this in your Cobra. Also be aware that you will need to rejet your carb before you leave Colorado Springs for this trip (Unless you have EFI - like some of us). I do not know what altitude Tucsan is, but remember you are going to 14,000 feet above sea level.

Let me know if you are still in for this. It is beautiful. I am thinking we can get some cars to go with you if you do go.

Dick