View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Ant,

I took all the pics and details of my mod off this thread because every day I was getting a couple of emails from people asking for more detail and pics, instructions etc. I replied to heaps of them with a package of pics and details on how to do the mod etc but hardly ever got a word of thanks from anyone. This got to be quite annoying so one day I cracked it and took all the details off the thread.

I've been modifying gearboxes for people for a while and have continued developing the mod since the first one I did back in October 2002.

Here's a couple of pics to show you the difference between a modde box and a stock one.

Here's a standard T56 gearbox with US Camaro/Firebird shifter.

Here's one I've modified.

The modified shifter setup has a very positive acting reverse lock out. Unless it's engaged you can't even feel where the gate is. The shift action is short very positive and precise. The mod takes all of the mushiness and play out that the original shift setup can sometimes have. Aussie boxes have a diabolical rear mout sifter setup.

The shifter itself is stanless steel and billet aluminium construction and is a real quality piece.

I usually polish the lever and supply a billet alloy knob. The lever shown leans to the right for right hand drive cars but I can make ones that lean left or go straight up and down. I can also do a few other styles of lever i.e. a T bar gate style like the original Cobras.

I'm making a couple of other parts for these boxes as well. I make braided clutch lines and an improved bleeder setup that lets you use a conventional bleed hose. The factory setup and be a pain unless you have the correct tool and without it you dump fluid all over the place.

To get an idea where the shifter comes out here's a pic of mine

Cheers