CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

Excaliber,

Thanks for the kind words!

Thanks for you kind words. No Brillo pads here, just lots of elbow grease and polish.

HI Cobra,

Thank you for your kind words. The guys in the panel beating shop tell me copper and aluminum form about the same. Copper is easier to begin with, but work hardens rapidly and gets harder to work than aluminum—equaling things out in the end.

We may have to sell the car with lots of polishing cloths and polish!

I am not sure if you could clear coat it or not—I imagine you could.

“What will you guys come up with next?” You never know…we have things cooking right now.

Steve,

Thank you for your kind words.

J Wheaton, Sgianino, Kris, xlr8or,

Xlr8tor,

Copper is about 4 times heavier (denser) than aluminum. It is definitely not the material to make a light weight car out of! But, it sure looks nice! (Just build a bigger engine!) So, I would imagine the car is about 300 pounds heavier than our normal car—or interestingly, the same weight as an original!)

Blue Rooster,

Lowell,

Why copper? Just because Thomas had a really killer idea and so we tried it.

The guys in Poland say the two materials are roughly similar. We made the body out of the same thickness copper as we do the aluminum cars. The Poles were quite excited to see the car finished and are proud of their work.

While doing this I thought about making a car out of gold…until I saw the price. I think the material alone is around 1 million dollars and it only comes in quite small sheets—like 10 x 10 so there would be an extraordinary amount of welding involved. I am sure we could do it, but I have no idea who could afford to buy it!

avanti-176,

You may not have to rob a bank to purchase one of our cars shortly. We are working on a much less expensive version of our car. Our goal of an inexpensive car started with the fiberglass car. The fiberglass project failed…but you didn’t expect me to give up—did you? Stand by…

FlackMan,

If I told the guys in Poland to make a body out of titanium, they would probably shoot me! Interestingly, titanium is heavier than aluminum so, there is really no advantage, (weight wise) to use titanium for a car body—it would look cool though!

Allen, Jorgen,

Rob,

That could look really, really cool. Never thought about it!

Petek,

For the 25th Anniversary? Who knows? Any suggestions?

Don,

As for fiberglass, well, we couldn’t make that work to our satisfaction…so we had to come up with something else…

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."