View Single Post
Old 04-24-2005, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA gone now
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by CoBro

Unfortunately, the problem is that most of you guys brought out of state cars into Washington and have to deal with the WASP. Any out of state car is subject to reaming by the State Patrol. Ron in Gig Harbor built his car here and was able to get the mid 60's registration. No emissions testing! No way would I let some kid jump behind the wheel of my car at the smog testing facility. I wonder if that dyno they have tests horsepower!
I waited patiently to buy a WA car so I wouldn't have to deal with the guys with the funny hats.
Hi guys,
Just wanted to clarify some most likely unintentional misinformation just in case some other Washingtonian pulls this up in a search. Bringing a titled car in from out of state does not entail an automatic inspection by the State Patrol. That program was dropped about four years ago. As examples I've titled three replica cars during the last few years that had out of state titles specifying them as the year they were meant to replicate. All three, two hot rods and one Cobra replica, sailed through the process without inspection and were re-titled in Wa as; e.g. 1932 Ford, 1927 Ford, etc. because that's what the former title said.

Ron's correct in stating that there are different results from different offices. When I did the Cobra replica it had been formerly titled as just "Cobra". The clerk's computer wouldn't accept that, the only "push button" choice he had was "Shelby Cobra". Okay, I'll go with that!!

I realize the guys in Cali are going through fits in this area right now, and given that our state is at least just as money grubbing that in the future we could have the same or similar issues, right now it's not a hinderance to bring in a titled car from out of state.

Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity converge.