View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 11:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

David,
Doing mass quantities of riveting sucks. Ask the FFR customers how much they enjoyed popping 1200 rivets.
My suggestion would be to pack it up like my car was. Eliminate as much of the expensive US labor as you can and leave that to the customer. My car had the body mounted, footboxes and interior panels installed, Trunk panels installed and wiring harness hanging in car.
Leave all the details in boxes. Let the customer install interior, dash, plumbing, pedal box, brakes, suspension, steering column and rack, windshield, radiator, fan, lighting, E-brake, gas filler, rollbar, hood and truck latches etc. etc.
Ship the car with a file finish. This way if the customer wants BNL, full polish or painted car it is ready to do the body prep when it goes out your door. Once the body work is done they can start the assembly. Leave the tires and wheels out since they are available direct from Trigo or Vintage and they can pick the tires they want as well.

This way you can recieve it from Poland, load it up with boxes of stuff and toss it on the truck. Your option list can remain the same as it is now and you just put the appropriate stuff in the boxes according to the order sheet. Your US labor is now gone from assembling the car to filling boxes with parts. With some efficient processes in place it shouldn't take but a couple of hours to have a car ready to ship out if you have the parts in stock.

Scott

PS: I wear XXL