View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SCJ429 & FE406
Not Ranked     

Hi Marcus: Thanks for this very detailed description of a car that sounds more than just about right!

I agree with you on the aluminum issue. Having the complete aluminum package; i.e. block, heads, intake and water pump lightweight brings the mighty FE down to 289 weight specs.

You talk about these modern 5-6 speed transmissions and come to think of it, the 427 probably should never be put in front of anything but a manual transmission.

The 427 engine is the king of all mountains, all things considered. There are better engines and more powerful on the market today, but none of them will ever see the crowds at LeMans rise in awe as in the 427īs case with three cars with the same engine roll across the finish line in a winning streak at the most prestigious racetrack in the world. There is only ONE first time for man on any peak. After that it is just repititions.

The only change I see as beneficial for a street car is to build it with the long arm of the 428 and have it zero balanced. These cranks are available at various prices. Not a bunch, but they can be had.

I prefer the car not to go beyond GT or "Bullitt" appearance, but the Shelby look is guaranteed to get respect and a lot of questions. Only thing is that once you have attained biceps of this size there will be challengers willing to armwrestle you at any stop. Better be prepared, right?