Old 05-08-2005, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Eleanor revisited

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ Dickey

I see your point, but to me, it's an entirely different thing for Ford to bring out a brand new Mustang with a Shelby nameplate, than it is for a company (who was never previously affiliated with Carroll) to build modified 60's cars and pass them off as the "real deal".

And for them to be bringing this kind of money is insane. It's no wonder that every single 1967-1968 Mustang owner is scrambling to convert their cars. I think it will be funny is in 5-10 years, when all these Eleanors will be being converted back to regular Mustangs...
Every article I've read on the "Shelby" Mustang credits various Ford employees for EVERY facet of the new car. It certainly sounds like CS's involvement was very minimal. (As stated in Motor Trend.)

I can't agree that a prior relationship with Ford makes the GT500 a real Shelby anymore than Unique Performance's Eleanor. I'm sure both companies showed CS drawings of their products and asked him a few questions before getting a license from Carroll to use his name.

Eleanor or Shelby GT500 (new): Neither was CS's idea. Shelby had little or no input on both, didn't hire or direct anyone directly involved with the design or modification of either.

But hey, they're both in the Registry (along with the Ford GT)??!?

In the new Registry:

What's next? I know! I've got a 1960s toaster - it's a Sunbeam. Carrol was associated with Sunbeam, right? I'm gonna get a couple of Tiger badges, stick 'em on the toaster and show Rick Kopec! Can't wait to be listed in the Registry.

Last edited by STG; 05-08-2005 at 12:29 PM..