View Single Post
Old 05-21-2005, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #101, 342 stroker
Not Ranked     

letitbe,
I have the Ford Racing 342 Stroker in my BDR. So far I love it. I bought the short block, not the crate motor. I built a 302 that didn't work out, so I got the 342 short block and used all the parts from my 302 build to finish it. I went with the Edelbrock Performer RPM build. Edelbrock Heads (2.02 intake valves), Intake manifold, 600 cfm carb, cam, & water pump. I used a Mallory Distributor and a Pertronix coil. No computers or ignition box, no rev limiter. Just as basic as it gets, sorta 1965 style. I have the 3.45 rear end with a T-5 HD tranny. I took it to a chasis dyno and pulled 332 RWHP and 342 RWTQ. Not too shabby for a small stroker. It sounds really good, and moves quite well. I have not done a quarter mile with it, but I don't have any trouble going from 60mph to 110+ mph in no time at all. I have 15" wheels, so I don't expect it to hook-up real well at a drag anyway.
I have 5500 miles on the car (4200 miles with the 342), and absolutely no problems or complaints about the engine. I do wish that Ford Racing offered a 327 stroker though, because 342/347 is maxed out on stroke. For general street use it is great, if you do a lot of racing, I would think the 342 might wear a little sooner than other engines.
Hope this helps.