Thread: Sidepipes
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2005, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #101, 342 stroker
Not Ranked     

Mounting the side pipes is probably the one thing that will drive you crazy until you get into it. You may want to trim the headers or sidepipes to get them to slide in far enough. Don't do it until you see how the header tubes line up. I trimmed both the headers and the pipes, and boy am I sorry. I have leaks that I can't get rid of. There are two major problems that need to be addressed to get a great fit. (1) the header tubes need to be expanded some, and (2) the header tubes are rarely parallel to the side pipes, so you may want to cut the headers into two pieces for each side. This will give you more flexability in inserting the headers, especially after they are expanded some. My mistake was thinking the headers and sidepipes were both too long, and that's why they wouldn't slip far enough. The real reason was that one tube from each side of the header was not parallel to the sidepipe openings. That prevented them from inserting the proper amount. Don't be afraid to trim the header some if needed, just don't get carried away like I did, or you won't have enough overlap.
As for the hangers on the frame, if you know anyone that can weld, it is easier to weld the T bracket to the frame in my opinion.

Good luck.