View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: P. O. of KMS 91,92,193,196,197,205,207,S024
Not Ranked     

Potholes on race tracks ? Have you ever driven at sebring?And rumble strips don't cause extra stress on suspension?perhaps you could share that with a friend of mine whose lola T70 's wheel literally blew off 12 inches of wheel bead at sears due in part to rumble strips!the results were not pretty.History of early can am and fia endurance cars is full of suspension failures ,especcialy on the lola T70 Mk 3's one of the lolas i used to own chassis 73/131 of james garners AIR racing team had such a huge failure that they had to cut the corner of another T70's rear bulk head off and weld on the 131 car to finish at daytona after all that the car still finished 6th over all. now add that to the fact that current tire technology is producing tires that grip way better than the tires available in the''era'' and tend to have stiffer side walls, do it wrong and your asking for disaster.
As to 289 comp cars... # 1 the 289 cobra is a'' flexie flier'' I have owned a few . When you drive one even on the street you can watch the door gaps change by over 1/4 inch !Why ? because the chassis was in a word flexible , both longetudily and torisionaly . if you examine an original 289 chassis that has not been sleeved you will find at least a 1/2 inch ''droop'' from front to back partially due to welding most of the sub structures above the center line of the main tubes and also the effects of age and gravity. perhaps putting aircraft quality hardware in these chassis was overkill due to the weakness of the platform but I think you will find by 1964 that is how it was done on factory /team comp cars .
the comp. cars were completely rebuilt at shelby american by the race shop. they threw most of what came from A.C. away and prepped the cars for competition in southern california with the expertise of some brilliant guys.
locktite red is great for street cars that you bolt together and drive i.e. ignore . a .. race car needs to be nut and bolted after every on track session , constantly retorqued, and looked after. My understanding is that locktites strength is achieved apon hardining its strength is not based on simply being a filler . so if you retorque after hardining are you not defeating its purpose?
I HAVE NEVER MET A COBRA OWNER ,REAL OR KIT THAT DIDN'T FEEL THEY WERE IN POSSESION OF A RACE CAR ( BUT FRANKLY I HAVE FOUND BMW owners ten times more arrogant, and i won't even dignify the average late model ferrari owner by comparing them.let me in summation apologize for you having to endure my failings in grammer( and gramper for that matter) spelling and punctuation but '' if all i ever larned were from books perhaps i wood be a better spellar'' regards and be safe , jerry
CSX 3355, 3358, 2200, 2571, 2295
GT40 #1086