View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

It has been posted many times before that CS tried to get funding from GM in the early days. GM did not want to dilute or harm their own market for the Vette that was VERY profitable for them so declined.
I am glad he built his dream with the Ford badges because it fueled the competitive wars of the time. CS beat the giant (GM) on many tracks making this history even richer with stories.
Today I build a Hot Rod version or replica that uses the GM engine/chassis for the majority of our customers. A FE or SB does bolt right in too but these are a much smaller percentage.
The cost to build a Ford that survived at the same HP of the chevy was higher for a long time but that is also changing if not already there. The industry has supported the crate engine theory and made HP parts a large part of their market. Now you can buy a hot rod engine right from the dealer with a warranty ta boot. I can not build an engine for the $$ my dealer will deliver engines to my dock. They are not ALL OUT race engines for what I spend but much more than a stock Mustang or Camero replacement engine.
There will always be the need for K Crafts and other higher end builders but the dealer does fill that big hole in the middle ground.
My cars are so far from the purists exact clone concept that I can do anything I want. If it feels good do it, you paid for it and it is yours so enjoy. I do and have already taken the hits from the hard core purists. Even they will still accept an adult beverage out of my ice chest and visaversa at a car show or run when the sun drops for the day.