View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 11:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The lump...

You'd think I'd have this stuff committed to memory. But this project has gone on so long..., I just don't remember everything (btw..., where DID I put all the receipts?).

Started w/ a 427 w/ a serious smoking problem. Long story, best avoided.

Got a pretty good deal on a short block that had been OH-ed about 10 years ago, then pickled. Had it disassembled, cleaned up, checked out and reassembled. Nothing special. Center-oiler, TRWs, 427 crank, new cam (don't remember details).

The top-end on the old motor was in better shape than expected. Completed a port and polish job that somebody had started but never finished. Nice rocker pieces, so kept them. Was gonna go w/ the edelbrocks, but the idea of saving some $ was appealing at the time (still is!).

Against my better judgement, upgraded the intake to a Performer RPM. Now I get to redo the hood/scoop. Will probably stay w/ the 3310 carb for the time being.

OH top-loader. New mcleod disc and p/p (w/ matching f/w balance).

"Brite-hot" coating for headers.

Have replaced everything between the fuel cell and engine..., fuel-line/pump/filter-wise.

Tasks remaining:

1. Rework hood/scoop.
2. Install/plumb new remote filter. I MAY still go w/ the Canton block to spin-on adapter..., we'll see.
3. Strip and powder coat valve covers.
4. Since I don't like cheap Hallibrand replicas cuz they look like cheap Hallibrand replicas, and I don't like expensive Hallibrand replicas because they're not cheap (and the overall quality of the car doesn't justify "fancy" bits), I'm going for a different look wrt the wheels. Staying 15" (8" and 10"). These too will be powder coated to match the car. Will post pictures when it's all done.

Once the car is running again...

1. Some electrical upgrades.
2. Would love to do something about the MGB front-end. I actually have it working OK..., but it could be a lot better.
3. And the brakes..., better brakes would be nice.

Cheers!