View Single Post
Old 04-22-2006, 03:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     

I store all my toys over the winter (I live in Canada). Part of my winter storage maintainence plan is to fog the motors. I do this by letting the engine idle and pouring some oil or Dexron II down the carb(s) slowly. This coats the valves, cylinders and pistons. Occasionally during the winter I will disconnect the coil wire, and turn the motor over, so as to re-distribute the oil on the crank and in the combustion chamber. It also keeps the valve springs from being compressed for the whole winter. Change the oil before you store it, as condensation in the motor will combine with unburnt carbons in the old oil and create a corrosive that will eat away at your main bearings. I have been told that adding STP to your winter storage oil will keep the oil on your crank and bearings as it is a little stickier than clean oil. I have found that when I do fog the motor, start up in the spring is a little less noisy, but quite a bit smokier! Most automotive supply stores carry a spray cylinder fog oil. I don't use it because you have to remove each spark plug and spray each cylinder. I find fogging from the carb does a more thorough job. Don't forget to add some fuel stabilizer to your gas tank! Not quite sure how much truth is in this, but my bike mechanic told me, that in order to meet emmision standards, the oil companies have refined the gas we burn to such an extent, that there is very little lubricant left in it. The gas is basically "dry". He recommened that I add a bit of oil or Dexron II to my gas tank. Not too much, that you are going to foul the plugs, just a bit to keep those valves lubricated. Maybe one of the other members can confirm or debunk this for me.
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American

Last edited by 427SnakeSC; 04-22-2006 at 05:01 AM..