View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Welcome to the madness, Jnr.

Your question is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. You first of all need some basic understanding in the difference between the manufacturers.

For example, if you buy an FFR in boxes and plan to go the donor route, you first of all have all the donor car dissassembly time before you turn a wrench on your kit. At the other end of the scale, a number of small assemblers will deliver you a completed FFR where all you need to do is turn the key.

Of course the used car maket for Cobras is also an option - pay your $$ and go. This is where you have to decide if the build is part of the enjoyment you want out of the experience.

Other cars can come in a variety of completion stages. An ERA for example, can come in a number of boxes - like an FFR, or complete with paint and wheels, ready to drop the motor in. A big difference in time (and $$) betweeen the 2. However, ERA's are more exclusive (limited production), and there is a factory production time waiting list - you need to call to see how long at present - I last heard something like 8 months.

The Unique company offers a number of stages of completion of their "pallet cars". Superformance is available only in a single level of completion.

Shelby also makes a replica , and there is a waiting time for it. Um, on second thought, please disregard this sentence.. (Please follow my advice at the bottom of this post before you try to fully understand this comment.)

So, you get the idea. Although you said you would not ask about $$$, in general, the price paid does have direct relevance to the time to complete. The more complete the replica you buy, the more $$ you spend, but the less time to complete it.

So, having said all that, you need to learn the search function on this site, and get familiar with about 10000 previous postings on the subject. Why not start by typing in something like "which kit" or "FFR vs Superformance" - and see what comes up . The research can be a big part of the fun.

Enjoy.

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....