View Single Post
Old 05-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

The "factory" oil cooler is set-up to handle -10AN line, which is plenty enough for most normal driving and occasional track use. Anytime that you run on a track, you are running at higher revs more often. This creates more heat, which undoubtedly increases oil temps. A larger oil cooler that can accommodate the larger -12AN line is a big improvement over most coolers (not just SPF specific). The SPF owners that track A LOT have moved up to a -12AN cooler, but the far majority of occasional track users I know have not.

Be careful about "over cooling", especially if you plan to do mostly street driving. Cold oil is not good over time. In fact, many with functional oil coolers (including myself) install a temporary block-off plate in front of the cooler during colder months, as the cooler is hardly ever (if ever!) needed on a 50-60 degree day when street driving. Thus....

I'm in the process of installing a custom valve unit that will allow me to re-circulate the oil flow either back to the engine or through the cooler (all from the remote filter housing) with the turn of a handle. Once I get it dialed in, I'll surely post a write-up on it here (as a fellow member is the manufacturer and I am assisting him with product testing right now before any full production is considered). FWIW, I'm keeping my -10AN cooler intact (for cost reasons), but increasing to -12AN between the engine and oil filter (improved flow should equate to more pressure). Stay tuned.....

-Dean #747

BTW, nice car! Killer engine, too!