View Single Post
Old 05-16-2006, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have the problem where during normal cruising, I wish the oil temp was hotter than what it normally runs. But when driving sporty, the normally cool oil can race up into scary high temps in a hurry if I don't pay attention. On the track, I definately need the cooler...but during the evening dinner cruise, I don't want it. I looked at the thermostats, but didn't want to add more flow restriction. I feel that the basic remote oil filter plumbing offers too much flow restriction as it is...and the addition of the oil cooler justs adds more. I looked at the canton thermostat but passed after hearing reports from another Cobra owners experience with oil pressure loss caused by it's flow restriction.

I'm using a custom made oil cooler bypass valve specifically designed for the SPF cars. This is a prototype that is currently being tested.

It mounts where the original oil filter bracket mounted and allows me to direct as much or as little oil to the cooler as I want. It is design and plumbed for -12AN. It is an integrated remote oil filter bracket and by-pass valve. This is the same valve that Dean (RedBarchetta) is installing and testing. So far I have over 1100 miles on it and love it!

The complimenting oil filter adaptor is also true -12AN with enormous ports compared to my original canton adaptor with -10AN.

I can't wait for the LCS Mid-Ohio track event for more testing.