View Single Post
Old 05-22-2006, 08:16 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1980 Arntz 427W, Webers, TKO600, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Hi Fred,

I had a local shop in town do the work. The left wheel had a pretty good wobble in it and there was a scraping noise coming from the differential. The first thought was to replace the hub bearings and shims, and the pinion bearing. They couldn’t get the stub axel out of one side of the diff. The one that did come out had a slight twist in the splines and was really hard to get out. That made us think the one we couldn’t get out would be very bad and possibly have damaged the diff. splines. So I went with a new diff., new stub axels, and new u-joints. Did new driveshaft u-joints while apart. I upgraded the brake calipers from type 1 to type 2 then also. That was expensive because of hand grinding to adapt them. Plus new rotors. As you can see it just keeps going. The type 2 calipers give you about 2 times the pad area. Thought that would be good but haven’t noticed any difference. It has a posi type gear set up. You can tell by jacking up the rear and turning a tire. If the other one turns the same way it’s posi. It all cost around $6,600. They did a great job. Cleaned and painted everything, including the frame in the rear. Did a 4 wheel alignment. I am very pleased with the work.