View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

The Friday track day was a blast. Seeing all those cars on the track at one time was like a trip back to the 60's. The whole weekend was fun but the track day was the hi-light for me.

I would like to make some observations regarding some of the comments that have been made on this thread. The track day was a great introduction for those that have not had their cars on a track before and a refresher for those that do have some track time. With 60 cars at the track, even broken into three groups, there will be delays and you probably will feel that you weren't able to go as fast as you would have liked. I think that if you are really serious about getting the most of your track time that you need to take one of ET's or someone else's driving schools.

At ET's school there is an excellent student to instructor ratio and you will get a lot of one on one instruction. The class that I took last fall had 10 students and 3 instructors and this year's class had ET and 4 students. ET was in my car with me coaching on the chatter box, "brake now, shift, turn in, stay out longer, accelerate, and watch the apex". Her constructive criticism was insructional and when you finally heard a "that was great" or a "perfect" you were ecstatic. When you are off of the track you learn about apex's, double apex's, decreasing radius turns, uphill and downhill turns, and banked turns. Enough information to keep your head spinning for several days, Amazingly each time that you get out on the track it all starts to make more sense. Each time that you go around the track your line gets better and with that comes speed that you can control. RFR's old portion of the track is a mostly hi-speed track which our cars are well suited for. With the addition of the new back portion which is more technical, driver and car have to be much more of a team to excel.

All of our cars are fast and most are dangerous fast. If you want to go fast on the track or off learn how to do it correctly. TAKE A DRIVING SCHOOL and preferably one where you drive your own car.

Dick