View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 06:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Investment?

Here is my opinion, for what it is worth.
Replicas are only worth what it would take to reproduce, basically the sum of their parts and maybe some sweat. This is why you pay more for KMS, ERA, CCX, SPF, UM, etc.......they cost more out of the gate to build.
A FFR can be done up nicely for 30K, most sell there abouts or for less. A nice ERA will cost at least 45-50k to build and that is where they can be bought. SPF roadster would be 37K base, 6k for plant, 3k for trans, add an additioanl 3k for incedentals and you have 49k right where they sell at. The more extras you pile on the more the $$$ adds up.

If you want an investment such as a car you will need to buy an original with some sort of limited production and maybe even a glorious race history to help. Even then you will need to wait 25 years or more. SPF are great cars, I am not bashing anyone here, but they are readily available now and for some time into the future. I would think that would indicate my second verse to ring true.

If you have the dough buy one and drive it, you only go around once and most of us do not have 400k for a 289 original even more for the 427 car. What ever you buy all of the replica brands are great fun and topics for discussion at the gas pump, shows, or stop lights.
Jeff