View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike
The Chev LS1 will do just fine for my Cobra shaped Hot Rod. About the only Ford bits in the whole car are the door locks.

If you want be stick with the replica theme put a Ford in it. However they only came out with the 260 and 289 Windsors or the 427 428 FE motor. Putting a 351W or a 385 series motor in is about as correct as my LS1.

The original AC ace had quite a variety of engines before the ford V8 was wedged into it and the cobra badge stuck on. 6 cylinder engines from AC, Bristol and Ford have lurked under the shapely curves of the AC Ace. The original car hasn't seem to mind it's varied diet of engines over the years.

I'll judge each engine on it's own merrits and decide which one is best for my Car. There are a heap of engines which could qualify for the job of propelling a lightweight sports car along a twisty road at high speed all the while asaulting the senses with an antisocial exhaust note. I'm looking forward to seeing what one of our european brothers does when they get their hands on the BMW V10 from the M5 or a supercharged AMG Mercedes V12.

Cheers
G'day Mike!!!

Well, it's late (00.15 hrs), I'm tired & bored and I can't help but reach for the wooden spoon and do some stirring.

In Oz we are plagued by burocrats that keep changing the emmission regs which force us cobra builders into corners. The old faihful windsor is almost no more. It's since been replaced by the modular 5.4 ltr. Now the 5.4 DOHC is a squeeze but it just fits: I've seen two examples. The LS1/2 is a good alternative fit. Some Cobras in Oz even use the Lexus V8 that subsequently been blown; makes for an impressive performer.

Honestly, who cares?

Only the owner!

Sometimes I think some people all too often get caught up in the club mentality of bagging other peoples cobras. Be it the quality of the build, the motor, choice of wheels etc etc. It dissappoints me when I see it as it's often not justified and frankly highlights the critic's failings. I know there will be some aspects of my build that will not be to everyones taste. Stuff them. Only my opinion counts

Now for the stirring!!

In Oz, LS1 cobras are known as dark siders (in reference to the dark side on Star Wars). Aussie Mike, aka Lord Vader, leads the Empire. But I predict, no sorry, it's Mike's destiny to change back the light side (Ford) just as his namesake did in episode 6. If you don't believe me I think he still has a link to the dark siders web site below his signature.