Thread: Mig welding
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2006, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike I'll make you jealious my home has 1300 amp 3 phase it is the only building on 3 transformers about 6' from the building. Anyhow I was part owner of a metal fab shop and we generaly stick welded anything over .5", either mig or tig welded .25" to .5", tig or gas welded below .25", and always tig on aluminum. As with anything there are exceptions we made a 2' diameter socket to remove the hub nut on miners, it was cheaper to fab than forge, that took a tool & die maker a minimum of a day to tig the assembly. We never had any sockets come back but they would bend up the handle which was 2"x10', Bubba musta eaten his wheeties that day. Since this forum is primaraly about Cobras my prefference is for most of the welding to be TIG simply because it is too easy to get a cold weld with MIG that is based on someone else doing the welding, I have a defibulator/pacemaker and am not supposed to do electric welding. My bro in law is a certified MIG welder and he welds .25" to over 2" all day with no problems building miners and bout the only thing they don't break is the welds.

Last edited by hssss; 09-08-2006 at 12:34 PM..