View Single Post
Old 06-12-2006, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 92 Classic Roadsters, 408CI Clevor, T-56
Not Ranked     

I believe the Detriot locker locks the rear wheels together when there is a speed difference between them - at all other times it is an open diff. It acts more like an on/off switch.

The Torsens are great for cornering (road race, autocross, etc). because they are very smooth and supply power to the wheel with the most grip. When cornering you don't want to waste any traction on quick "impulse" type inputs to the tires - such as quick turns of the steering wheel or the rear wheels locking an unlocking quickly (Dteroit Locker).

All Torsens are not created equal. The angle of the gears determine how much the maximum torque difference between the drive wheels can be before they stop transferring power to the wheel with the most traction. Another nice feature of a Torsen is that there is no clutch material to wear out (like most limited slip diffs, i.e. Auburn). Just keep reasonably fresh rear end lube in teh diff and they work well for a long time.

I prefer the Torsen, as I like to do track events and autocrosses. I think Drag Racers might prefer the Locker...