View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1408
Not Ranked     
Default Tremec 3550 Question about shifts & fluids

Well, the ole girl is just about back together completely. I've been driving around a little with no tunnel (yeah, I know...) for the past week and was just about to get it finally assembled.

As some of you might recall, I broke the internal 5th/Reverse shift lever and had to have it replaced. I got the tranny back in the car and noticed something different about the way it shifted.

Before the "incident", it shifted very smoothly from each gear to the next. Now, there seems to be a defined "double click" movement. That is to say when shifting from first to second, for example, it pauses in neutral, and then continues to second. Same for second to third, etc. Downshifting as well. I'm assuming it has something to do with the synchros, but I just don't know. At
first I thought it was related to the Pro 5.0 shifter I got bought, but the old shifter does it as well.

One note of interest: When I drained the trans fluid, it was red in color, like ATF. What the service manual calls for is GM Synchromesh. I replaced the fluid with 3 quarts of Pennzoil Synchromesh (sams as GM) and was wondering if that could be the difference in shifting. It apparently has had the red fluid for 10,000 mile life of the car since the previous owner had never changed the trans fluid.

Any takers on this one?
Superformance #1408