View Single Post
Old 06-16-2006, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #414 427 s/o w. Shelby Aluminum heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Mighty Demon 750, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Got it back together, but not starting

OK, here's the run down on the re-assembly:

- New nitroseal head gaskets installed, with no sealer of any kind - just cleaned the deck and head with laquer thinner.
- Torqued the heads down in 3 steps: 70, 85, 100 ft lbs
- Coated NitroSeal intake gaskets with spray adhesive, put Permatex gray around the water jackets and stuck them down
- Put Permatex gray on the rails - no cork gaskets
- Set the aluminum intake down and bolted down to 34 ft lbs
- Put the pushrods back in order wtih a dab of grease to hold them into the hydraulic lifter cups
- Installed rocker arm assemblies and torqued to 42 ft lbs
- Pre-loaded / set lash on the lifters at 1/2 turn past tight
- Stripped the top surge tank bolt, so drilled it out and re-threaded to 3/8"
- Installed thermostat with weep hole drilled in the top
- Installed the carb w 1/2" phenolic 4 hole spacer
- Filled the block with distilled water and Water Wetter via the water temp sensor hole and then filled the surge tank and radiator lines from the surge tank
- Filled with Shell Rotello 15w-40 plus 1 quart Lucas Oil Conditioner, which I poured over the rocker arms and down into the cam valley to try and coat everything
- Used a drill and shaft to prime the oil system
- Replaced the valve covers
- Installed the distributor so that the rotor was pointing directly at #1 spark plug wire connector when the harmonic balancer timing line was at 20 deg advanced
- Verified TDC and that I didn't have the distributor 180 off
- Fuel lines connected, carb float bowls show fuel in the site windows
- Installed new Champion plugs gapped at .050

Looked everything over and turned the key. Starter kind of sounded funny, like a higher pitched sound, but crank appeared to be turning over. However, wasn't getting any ignition. Tried some starter fluid in the carb and got a couple of puffs and one backfire.

Starter seems to have a hard time turning the engine over, so hooked up the battery charger. However, I can turn the engine over by hand using a breaker bar and have rotated it around a couple of times when verifying TDC.

Tried it 3 or 4 times and then had to stop to tend to kiddie duties. Figure I'll post this, and sleep on it.

Any ideas or tips to try? Could I have done something to the starter when the engine was locked up and I tried to start it?
Thanks!
Scott

Last edited by HSSS427; 06-16-2006 at 07:53 PM..