View Single Post
Old 06-27-2006, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #139, Indigo blue, white stripes, KeithCraft 351W, 315 WHP, 17" Boyd Smoothies, dual roll bars, gunrack, assorted young females
Not Ranked     

This is kinda on-but-off topic.

My avatar, my Bosslady, has been having a rough few months, just turned 21, finally dumped her worthless live-in BF, just barely academically bombed her second try at college, and is having a bad time at work dealing with the Kids (under 21). She is too close to their age to give her the respect she deserves and has earned.

A really rough day at work today, a huge pizza catering job, Boss brought in many of the Kids early, most that I never see because they work nights, I am the Dawn Patrol.

As I was leaving, all the pressure was on her because the Boss was gone, the Kids were not used to stress and were all totally unsupportive little... whatevers.

I ambled over (Look, I'm big, and old, and scary when I want to be, mostly big and scary) and said, in a loud voice, "Sunshine?" (her other nickname) "You get off at 2, any chance I can get you to come by and take me for a run in the Cobra? You were the last one to drive her, the seat is still scooted forward."

I could hear the Kids' eyeballs snap as they locked in on me, they all know about Gunrack but never see me or the car because they usually work nights.

"You know I love your company and you are a hell of a good driver," I said.

The smile I got from her reminded me of her second nickname. The room lit up.

"Well, if I have time," she said.

The Kids' hands were frozen in place but their beady little eyes were swivelling between us, their little bat ears taking in every word.

"Since Brandi and Derik moved away, you are one of three people I trust to solo in the little blue car," I said.

"If you can swing by, we can make the drag through town a couple of times and you can take her to get the oil changed and go see some of your friends, you know, clean her pipes out a little."

Another dazzling smile.

Our little conversation broke the tension, the Kids calmed down, and when I left, they were treating their supervisor as they should, and with a bit more respect than before.

No, she didn't come by, but she will, maybe tomorrow.

With my trashed knee and trashed back, she is my primary driver.

It seems that you don't have to be in the cockpit of a Cobra to get recognition.

Just a little story.

UT