View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Clutch lever: how close am I?

I'm trying to figure out exactly how much more travel I need wrt my clutch lever.

- FE installation
- Stock clutch lever
- Stock bell housing
- Mcleod 360651 pressure plate
- Mcleod 260833 clutch disc
- Mcleod 16031 throw out bearing

With all adjustments run out to their tippy-toes, the clutch disengages just sufficiently to permit not very graceful shifts. Car up on jack stands, clutch pedal depressed fully..., still get some wheel spin when not in neutral.

Ignoring all other issues..., how close am I? Measured at the end of the clutch lever that the slave cylinder engages..., what's an approximate figure of how much further the end of the clutch lever will need to travel to fully disengage the clutch? (Assuming it's ALMOST there now.)

Some background:

My current "system" can get 7/8" total throw..., the position of which is adjusted in the usual way (threaded pushrod).

I can presently rig it to permit complete unload of the throw-out bearing when the clutch pedal is fully released. But the xmission is unshiftable.

OR

I can presently rig it to barely permit shifting..., but at the cost of continually riding the throw-bearing..., even with the clutch pedal released.

So..., 7/8" doesn't appear to be enough for this particular clutch lever/pressure plate combination.

So..., I need to know how much more total throw I need that will permit both total throw-out bearing unload when the pedal is released AND total clutch disengagement when it is fully depressed.

So..., while I realize everybody's installations may vary..., does anybody happen to know how much movement is required for their particular installation..., when measured at the end of the clutch lever?

I'm guesstimating I may need around 1.25" total throw.

???