View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In the late 70's, Ford engineering basically went down the tubes.

We ended up with the modular engines, bigger dimensionally, severely limited internally. The engineering plan was apparently to design and build a motor bigger than the biggest big-block Ford made, to install in vehicles (someone, I hope) they forecast were going to get smaller due to the gas shortages. The 'plan' was to take up a larger percentage of the available volume in these smaller vehicles?

These same engineers, when faced with developing the H.O. 302, which didn't roll over and die for the modulars, were looking for more HP. So, they pulled a existing cam out of a 351W performance catalog and used it in the 302. More power from that cam; cheap 'development' costs. That's all the reason for the change in the 302's firing order. As for the 351's firing order? Petty change for pettiness sake? Just to make it different from GM's firing order? Maybe to take some load off of the front main bearings which in the old firing order were hit bang bang in sequence while the new order gives them a little rest between hits?

Anything Ford has done since 1970 has not impressed me.