View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Default Got 514 problems!

OK, I've been gone a while but some may remember my old saga of problems with my 514.. created by my builder. It's been 4 years from heck and I'm trying to get her back on the road

It's now professionally rebuilt and dyno run, 800 miles on her with a carb and was still smoking a bit of blue oil smoke out both sidepipes when I shut her down last year and commenced to install the Holley EFI w/airdoor and rails

Went to the shop for programming and dyno, we modified a few things and got her running when the tech discovered a tab was broken in the stock distributor and it was "free advancing" and causing pinging. He stopped, we got a new distributor and modified it with a steel gear and back to the dyno

He had disconnected my PCV valve, (It went to the base of the carb/now airdoor and in street running I had little leakage last year after I installed it) he was telling me it was interfering with his tuning of the EFI computer.. he ran it up to 4 K on the dyno and the oil cap blew off sending oil onto the fender and such. The cap is just the push in type with an o ring. He tells me the engines got damage of some kind.. probably rings scorched from detonation or from being washed out from the carb. No compression tests run yet, my mechanic friend and I are going to do compression and leak down tests and inspect the plugs when I truck her back to his shop.

This mechanic friend says this sort of issue is common with this engine, especially when new, and that 800 miles is not enough to fully seat the rings..

I'm getting pro engine builders telling me the rings should be fully seated by now and this should not happen, and opposite advice from my friend..?

Any advice, comments?
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm