View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Some of what he says is true, although possibly written incorrectly. I think the metal content of Mexican blocks is probably debatable. The mains however are thicker( not wider) in the caps themselves.They aren't any thicker than 289HiPo mains, which they are obviously modeled after. For the amount of extra insurance that little bit gives I wouldn't spend any $$$ premioum for one. For real power an aftermarket 4 bolt block is the only way to go. If you don't plan on more than a 450Hp small block (that's what Ford rated their last Trans Am 289) a mexican block would be a good builder, if you want more then put the change you'd have to pay for the mexican block on something that is designed to take it. When the word began circulating years ago about Mexican blocks they could be purchsed for about the same as a regular one, now everyone that has one seems to think they are highly prized and the prices reflect it.