View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Default Agog in Ringwood

So I'm at the local supplier of 'ye olde english sports car bits' looking at mirrors and trying not to spend any more than I have to.

We settle on an interior mirror (v.cheap post style chinese knockoff).

They have a couple of bullet style exterior mirrors, I'm worried that the cheaper/shorter one won't let me see past the cobra's 'hips'. But I'm also worried that even if I buy the taller pricey one I'll have the same problem.

So the parts guy (one of those easy going older gents) says 'we have a cobra here, why dont we take a look...'

I'm thinking - It's gunna be some replica - have seen replicas for sale there before - and give him a sceptical 'really?...'

I get a look back with a wry smile that I now recognise as being 'yes grasshopper - I know what I'm talking about'

Parts guy grabs a couple of mirrors and leads a somewhat sceptical me out through the workshop to the outside lean-to where I'm presented with an aluminium (correct spelling there) AC.

Its georgous - unpainted, unrestored, all old and lovely.
Even has some apparent weld work on the rear wheel arch.

So, become a bit weak-at-the-knees and somewhat lost for words.

If its a replica i'm fully stumped.

Anyway - we try the mirrors and the expensive one looks like it can gain the closest elevation.

It doesn't occur to me until later that I'm trying out mirrors on the side of an original to check out the 'look' etc. Very generous of them I have to say.

The AC has a mirror on a stalk that is bolted to the windscreen support.
I think I'll try to find one of those.

Judging by my reaction I'll have to stay away from SAAC - I dont think the ticker could take it.

LoBelly