View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

You know the drifted subject of 5.0 blocks splitting has really been bugging me.

I read through the link that hssss put in his post. A lot of information and good pictures of cracked blocks. This is the first I have heard of this, but I haven't been hanging around people who are running engines hard at higher rpm ranges.

The thought that crossed my mind was pre-detonation. If the tuning is off or the compression too high for the octane ran, ect. ect., this can kill an engine is seconds.

Shelby and Ford were getting 450 hp out of the 289 back in the early days of the AC Cobra, by some accounts anyways. So this leads me back to: were the blocks of the 60's superier to the 70's and 80's? What about the 90's?

On one hand, the block is definately thin, but on the other hand, people have been supercharging the 5.0 up to 500 even 600 hp. Least ways that's what the magazines print. I would think that 300 hp failures would mean that 500 hp wouldn't last a week. Yet you can buy 400+ hp crate engines.

I am confused (talking myself in circles). : Can anyone clear some of this up for me?