View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I had lots of little Cobras until Oscar the house thief stole all of them
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronRACE
Sorry, but the pistons moving around in the crank case do not cause the crank case to "pump up" and build pressure. Sure, when a piston moves down the bore it displaces air...and if all 8 were moving down the bore at the same time, you'd create quite an air compressor. That would be a very stupid design, and amazingly enough...they figured this out way back in the beginning and designed around it ever since. As one piston moves down, another moves up, keeping the volume and pressure in the crank case constant. Yes, turbulent...but constant on average.

If this "pumping crankcase" theory was correct, every "sealed system" engine (just about every single engine built since 1980, probably even earlier) would blow the PCV out as well as the pan and intake gaskets, shoot oil out the front and rear seals, etc. This doesn't happen, right.

The truth of the matter is, if you're building crank case pressure, it's combustion pressure coming past the rings. Sounds scary, but every engine does this to some degree, and the larger the displacement and higher the compression, the more this will occur. Newer engines leak more as well. On a 514, a single factory style breather isn't sufficient at wide-open-throttle. One or two open element breathers (as suggested) should do the job. In addition, the more breathers you put on the crank case the better. Every time you double the area of the breather path to the crank case, you cut the velocity of the air flow out the breather in half. Air velocity is what carries the oil out of the breather.
Then explain why when the PCV gets plugged up or totally removed oil will be blown up into the air filter?? In fact I am so positive about this I'll give you some homework.

Go out to your car and start it up. Plug the hole in the valve cover where the PCV goes. Plug the hole or holes where the breather element or tube is. Rev the car to 2500 rpm and see how long it takes to blow out every seal in the engine.